What goes good with BBQ pulled pork?
BBQ pulled pork is a delicious and popular dish that is loved by many in the UK. The smoky, tender, and flavorful meat pairs perfectly with a variety of sides, sauces, and beverages. Whether you are hosting a summer barbecue, attending a potluck, or simply looking for a comforting meal, there are plenty of options to complement your BBQ pulled pork.
When it comes to choosing sides for BBQ pulled pork, there are numerous options that can enhance the overall dining experience. Here are some popular choices:
1. Coleslaw: A classic side dish that provides a refreshing and crunchy contrast to the rich and savory pulled pork. The tangy dressing of coleslaw cuts through the smokiness of the meat, creating a perfect balance of flavors.
2. Cornbread: The golden and crumbly texture of cornbread is an excellent accompaniment to BBQ pulled pork. Its slightly sweet flavor complements the smoky and savory taste of the meat, making for a satisfying combination.
3. Baked beans: The sweetness and creaminess of baked beans add depth and richness to the meal. This classic side dish is a staple at barbecues and provides a hearty and comforting component to your pulled pork feast.
4. Macaroni and cheese: Creamy macaroni and cheese pairs beautifully with BBQ pulled pork, creating a comforting and indulgent combination. The cheesy goodness of the dish complements the smoky flavor of the meat, making it a crowd-pleaser.
Choosing the right sauce to accompany your BBQ pulled pork can elevate its taste to another level. Here are some popular sauce options:
1. Barbecue sauce: The most obvious choice is barbecue sauce, which comes in various flavors and styles. Whether you prefer a tangy, sweet, or spicy sauce, it adds an extra layer of deliciousness to your pulled pork.
2. Hot sauce: If you enjoy a bit of heat, hot sauce can bring a fiery kick to your BBQ pulled pork. Whether it’s a classic Tabasco or a more adventurous chili-based sauce, a few drops can take your meat to another level of spicy goodness.
3. Mustard sauce: Yellow or Dijon mustard-based sauces provide a tangy and slightly acidic flavor that complements the richness of the pulled pork. It adds a zingy kick to every bite, making for a delightful combination.
To complete your BBQ pulled pork meal, it’s essential to pair it with a suitable beverage. Here are some great options:
1. Beer: A cold beer is often the beverage of choice when enjoying BBQ pulled pork. The carbonation and crispness of beer help cut through the richness of the meat, providing a refreshing and complementary taste.
2. Iced tea: Sweet or unsweetened, iced tea is a popular choice for pairing with BBQ pulled pork. Its cool and refreshing nature complements the smoky flavors and helps cleanse the palate between bites.
3. Lemonade: The tartness and sweetness of lemonade make it an excellent companion to BBQ pulled pork. It brings a refreshing and citrusy contrast to the rich and savory meat, creating a delightful combination.
What is a Good Side Dish for BBQ Pulled Pork?
When it comes to enjoying a delicious plate of BBQ pulled pork, finding the perfect side dish can take your meal to the next level. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or simply craving some mouthwatering comfort food, pairing your pulled pork with the right side dish can enhance the flavors and provide a satisfying balance to your meal. Here are some popular options to consider:
A classic choice, coleslaw offers a refreshing crunch and tangy flavor that complements the rich and smoky taste of BBQ pulled pork. Whether you prefer creamy or vinegar-based coleslaw, its crisp texture and acidity provide a pleasant contrast to the tender meat.
2. Baked Beans
Nothing signifies a barbecue quite like a side of hearty baked beans. Their sweet and savory flavors harmonize well with the smokiness of the pulled pork, creating a harmonious combination that will leave you satisfied.
For a true Southern experience, indulge in a slice of warm and buttery cornbread. The soft and crumbly texture of cornbread complements the tender pork, while its slightly sweet taste adds a delightful touch to the overall flavor profile.
4. Macaroni and Cheese
If you’re looking to add some indulgence to your plate, macaroni and cheese is a crowd-pleasing option. The creamy, cheesy goodness pairs well with the smoky pulled pork, creating a comforting and indulgent combination that will satisfy any comfort food lover’s cravings.
5. Potato Salad
Another classic choice, potato salad brings a cool and creamy element to the table. The subtle flavors of the potato salad won’t overpower the pulled pork, making it an excellent side that complements the dish without stealing the spotlight.
“Pairing your pulled pork with the right side dish can enhance the flavors and provide a satisfying balance to your meal.”
Whether you choose coleslaw, baked beans, cornbread, macaroni and cheese, or potato salad, the key is to find a side dish that complements the flavors of BBQ pulled pork while providing a different texture or taste sensation. Don’t be afraid to get creative and try different combinations to discover your own perfect pairing.
How to Cook Pork Crackling on the BBQ?
When it comes to cooking pork crackling, using a BBQ can be a great way to achieve that perfect crispy and flavorful result. The combination of smoky flavors and the intense heat of the BBQ can create a delicious crust on the crackling. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you cook pork crackling on the BBQ:
Choose the Right Cut of Pork
To ensure a successful pork crackling on the BBQ, start by selecting the right cut of pork. Look for cuts with a thick layer of fat and good skin, such as pork belly or shoulder. The pig’s skin should be dry and scored, which will help the fat render evenly and the crackling to crisp up nicely.
Prepare the Pork
Before placing the pork on the BBQ, it’s important to prepare it properly. Season the skin generously with salt, which will draw out moisture and help create a crisp texture. You can also add herbs, spices, or rubs of your choice to enhance the flavors.
Get the BBQ Ready
Preheat your BBQ to a high temperature. If you’re using a charcoal BBQ, make sure the coals are white-hot before you start cooking. This will ensure there’s enough heat to crisp up the crackling.
Cooking the Pork
Place the pork on the BBQ with the skin side up, ensuring it’s positioned over the indirect heat. This will allow the fat to render slowly and prevent the skin from burning. Close the lid of the BBQ and let it cook for a few hours until the crackling is golden brown and crispy.
Rest and Serve
Once the crackling is cooked to perfection, remove it from the BBQ and let it rest for a few minutes. This will help the juices redistribute and ensure tender meat. Slice the pork and serve immediately, making sure to highlight the delicious crackling.
Tip: For an extra crispy crackling, you can finish it off under a hot grill for a few minutes after cooking on the BBQ.
Now that you know how to cook pork crackling on the BBQ, it’s time to gather your ingredients and fire up the grill. Enjoy the mouthwatering combination of smoky flavors and crunchy crackling!
What to Serve with BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos?
Tacos filled with delicious and tender BBQ pulled pork are a crowd-pleasing favorite. But what should you serve alongside these flavorful delights? We’ve got you covered with some tasty options that will complement your BBQ pulled pork tacos perfectly.
1. Classic Coleslaw
A refreshing and creamy classic coleslaw is an excellent choice to serve with BBQ pulled pork tacos. The crunchiness of the cabbage and carrots combined with a tangy dressing provides a fantastic contrast to the rich and smoky flavors of the pork. Try our simple yet delicious coleslaw recipe:
- Finely shred half a cabbage and grate two carrots.
- In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cabbage and carrots to the dressing and toss until well-coated.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
2. Grilled Corn on the Cob
Take advantage of the BBQ grill and serve some delicious grilled corn on the cob alongside your BBQ pulled pork tacos. The smoky charred flavor of the corn pairs perfectly with the tender pork. Here’s a quick and easy way to prepare grilled corn:
- Peel back the husks of the corn without removing them completely.
- Remove the silks and rinse the corn.
- Spread butter and sprinkle salt and pepper over the corn.
- Wrap the husks back around the corn and grill over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Baked Beans
No BBQ feast is complete without a side of hearty baked beans. The sweetness and smokiness of the beans complement the flavors of the pulled pork tacos perfectly. Here’s a simple recipe for homemade baked beans:
- In a saucepan, cook bacon until crispy, then remove and crumble.
- Add diced onions to the pan and cook until softened.
- Add canned baked beans, brown sugar, mustard, molasses, and barbecue sauce to the pan.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the flavors meld together.
Elevate your BBQ pulled pork tacos by serving them with these delicious sides. The combination of flavors and textures will create a memorable meal that will leave everyone satisfied. Enjoy!